Tuesday, December 16, 2014

TKAM Week of: 12/15

Favorite Character
After reading I wonder


Calpurnia's crew
  To Kill a Mockingbird was a story filled with many lovable characters. Though there are many who's personalities I fell in love with, I would say Calpurnia is my favorite. She's a great woman and really cares for Jem and Scout. What I really like about her is that she loves them enough to correct them when they're wrong and is strict with them. People mistake strictness with being mean. If someone never corrected you when you were wrong, do they really care? 

  One day, Calpurnia takes Jem and Scout to First Purchase Church. The children notice something different about her; the way she speaks. Jem and Scout ask her why she speaks the way the other African-Americans do and that is because they aren't as educated as Cal. She is one of the four in the church who learns to read. Even though she knows better, she says, “It’s not necessary to tell all you know." In summary, Calpurnia is a sassy, loving, and modest woman. 


"That Calpurnia led a modest double life never dawned on me. The idea that she had a separate existence outside our household was a novel one, to say nothing of her having command of two languages." 
Cal judging you
After Reading I Wonder...

  • What about Scout and Dill? How is their relationship after all these incidents? I wonder if they are still in contact with each other when Scout is a women, narrating the story. 
  • In the last chapter it says, " Boo and I walked up the steps to the porch. His fingers found the front doorknob. He gently released my hand, opened the door, went inside, and shut the door behind him. I never saw him again." That's it? Do Scout, Jem, and Dill say anything about that (if they saw each other again?) Or do they act as if he never came out? Does Scout keep to herself?
  • How is Helen?
  • Do the Ewells stay in town? 
  • How does the town react to Bob* Ewell's death?
  • Do people assume it was Boo due to his reputation?
What do you think about any of the questions above? 

  To Kill A Mockingbird is a great book and it's one of my favorites. I did have my occasional problems understanding the book but I figured it out eventually with a little help. I'm actually looking forward to reading it again my Sophomore year of high school.

1 comment:

  1. Athziry,
    I absolutely love your blog from this week! I have to agree with you, Calpurnia is definitely one of my favorite characters, and I love how you described her as being a sassy woman! I love how you explain that just because she's strict, it doesn't mean that she's mean, that's just how she shows her love and care for the children. She gives a lot of tough love! I also love the fact that you bulleted what you were still wondering at the bottom, making it easy to follow, with very interesting questions, most of which I was wondering myself, but some that now I am also wondering about!

    ReplyDelete

Small Green Outline Pointer