Sunday, May 17, 2015

Final Reflection

1. What are the three most important things you learned this year?

  There have been so many things that I have learned from Mrs. Larson's lit and language arts class. I learned many new words. This has helped me improve my vocabulary but I do think that I should apply these new words in my writing. Another thing that I learned was how to embed quotes in my essays. I never knew that I had to cite the source in the essay. This is something I'll have to use in my writing for the rest of my life. Lastly, I learned that I actually do have potential. I never really saw it until being in Mrs. Larson's class. She challenges us because she sees that we can do so many great things.

2- What is something we did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?

  The vocabulary that we have learned these past two years are ones that I will never forget. I never looked forward to vocabulary quizzes because I thought that it would be a waste of time. It clearly wasn't because I see myself using the words we have learned in my everyday life. Many other students can relate, too. It makes me really happy whenever someone uses a big word and I think, "hey, that was one of last weeks vocabulary words!"

3- What was the nicest thing someone in our class did for you this year?

   Everyone has treated me so nicely in this class. People always complimented my blog and drawings and whoever it was that I sat next to, we always had fun discussions. I remember last year when I came back from missing a week of school, I felt so out of place. It felt like no one really noticed until I went into Mrs. Larson's class. I was just standing awkwardly and Elenia came up to me and gave me a hug and asked me how I was. We weren't super close or anything but she always went out of her way to see how I was. She's a great person to talk to because you can talk about anything with her. We can go from a serious discussion to talking about a boy's eyebrows. I want to say thank you to her and everyone else in this class for making me feel happy this year.

4- What is something you taught your teacher of classmates this year?

  The only thing I can think of is that I taught Mrs. Larson how to add a favicon to her blog.

5- In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements? What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?

  I've made huge improvement in my writing because I learned many different forms of it. There was argumentative writing, objective summaries, thematic essays, and so many more. I was able to get good grades in my essays so I'm proud of that. These are skills that will be important for me to know for the rest of my educational career.

6- What was the most challenging part of this year for you?

  The most challenging part of this year was managing my time. I always save my homework for the last minute but that wasn't really an option this year. With all the eighth grade events and my sister's senior events, there was always something going on after school. The way I was able to overcome this challenge was by doing part of my homework whenever I had free time during school. This way, I only had a bit of work left for home.

7- What was the best piece of writing that you did this year? Why do you think it was your best?

  There aren't any specific pieces that I would say are amazing but there were the occasional AoWs that I was proud of. I noticed that the write ups I did a good job on were the ones that I turned in early. For me, turning things early means I gave undivided attention to my work and was able to finish it in that time. If I gave myself until Thursday, I'll slack off and turn it in last minute, not putting my best effort.

8- Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite? Why?

   Of the many novels and short stories we read in the last two years, my favorite has been To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I think that one of the main reasons it was my favorite was that I actually understood it. Many of the short stories that we read were confusing for me to understand. To Kill A Mockingbird just has such an amazing storyline. It talked about real life issues like racism, all sorts of prejudice, and losing innocence. Something that made this novel unique to others I have read is that this book had a few main conflicts opposed to only one important one. This is a book that I will cherish for the rest of my life and I'm excited to read the sequel this summer.

9- What advice would you give to students who will be in this class next year?

   Many of the future students may be intimidated by this class because of its challenges. It is difficult but if you really but your best effort, you'll be okay. Time management is key in this class. We are assigned a blog post, article of the week, and vocabulary quiz each week. If you save all of the assignments and studying for Thursday night, you won't even learn. To prevent future stress for yourself, do one assignment each day. Another thing is that it is okay if you don't understand something. You will not understand everything in this class so make sure to ask questions. Asking questions doesn't make you dumb or make the teacher mad. Your teachers want to help you, it's part of their job to help you when you don't understand something. Lastly, have fun. We do really fun projects and have some hip celebrations every now and then. I became friends with some amazing people in this class and I'm sure that you will too.


Thank you Mrs. Larson and classmates! :-))








No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Green Outline Pointer