Thursday, April 23, 2015

Week of 4/20: Tuesdays With Morrie

  Tuesdays with Morrie is a magnificent read for all age groups. I've read it before in fifth grade and did enjoy it but I believe I will really appreciate it more this time around. I used to read books just to say I read so many books but now I actually think about what I'm reading. There are a lot of lessons I didn't learn in the first time of reading Tuesdays With Morrie that I notice now.

  Morrie makes sure to live the life that he has left to the fullest. When Ted Koppel from Nightline speaks to Morrie, Morrie says, "When all this started, I asked myself, 'Am I going to withdraw from the world, like most people do, or am I going to live?' I decided that I'm going to live-or at least try to live-the way I want, with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure." Even after being diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) he is still trying to live life to the fullest. The disease is eating away at his everyday functions yet he isn't feeling bad for himself. In the book Mitch states, "I was astonished by his complete lack of self-pity." Morrie could no longer do his favorite things such as dancing or swimming or even do simple tasks like rolling over in bed and he struggled to eat but there he is. Morrie is teaching people lessons right from his wheelchair.

I think bucket lists are fun to make because it's just all the things you plan to do. I have a lot of things I would like to do in the future. The future seems fun when I make these lists but sometimes they sadden me because what if I can't do it all? I know I won't be able to do all of them and from the things I can do, I will live them to the fullest.

My Bucket List

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Green Outline Pointer